Today is the Ten Year Anniversary of September 11th. I told Jason to put our flag out this morning. Our children asked why it was so important to put our flag out today. I felt a deep sadness because I had not talked to our kids about this day. I wondered why I hadn't, probably because it is not a good memory, it is sad, it is frightening, it is not something I really want to remember, but it needs to be remembered. It is part of history. It will forever be a part of my life.
I still remember that morning. I woke up to get ready for work. Jason was still in bed and so I didn't turn on the t.v. that morning like I usually do when I am getting ready for the day. As I drove to work I saw a construction trailer with a orange poster board on the side that said, "Pray for the families." I thought it was strange. Pray for what families??? I got to work and went into my bosses office and got his desk ready and turned on the news on his t.v. like I always do and there it was, a picture of the plane hitting the towers. I froze. My heart stopped and then the tower fell like it was just stack of blocks. I remember kneeling down and tears were streaming down my face. I watched people run for their lives, people crying and holding onto each other. People jumping out of windows to try and save themselves. People hoping and praying for survivors, but deep down knowing there weren't going to be any and if there were there would be few. It was as if time stood still. There was no work that day, everyone just sat glued to the t.v. feeling helpless, hopeless and heart broken.
For days we watched the t.v. listening to survivors stories, to families talk about loved ones they lost, people holding up signs and posters of pictures of people they loved and couldn't find. Hospitals waited for the wounded to show up, but they didn't show up. I remember a man telling a news caster, "We went to find survivors, we went to find people, but all we found was melted metal and dust. That is all, can you believe it, that is all."
9/11 changed me. It changed the way I looked at freedom. I had a new perspective for the men and women who fight for our country, for the firefighters, police officers, rescue workers and just for regular men and women who risked their lives to save people they didn't even know.
Our country came together that day. We held strong. We fought and continue to fight for freedom. My hope is that we don't forget that day, the day our world stood still, the day we realized that our freedom is worth fighting for, a day that will stay in our minds and hearts forever. A day we need to teach our children about. So today I will be put our flag out, I will remember the ones who lost their lives. I am proud to be an American. I will stand up for what I believe in. This day will never be forgotten, but will be imprinted in my heart forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment